Green Turtle Inn
After the devastating Labor Day Hurricane of 1935 destroyed Flagler’s Overseas Railroad, work began on the Overseas Highway to Key West, which gave way to the first motoring tourists in the early 1940’s as well as new cafes, inns and restaurants in Islamorada. In 1947 Sid and Roxie Siderious purchased a roadside establishment and transformed it into the Green Turtle Inn. The “Turtle” became known for great food and a comfortable night’s rest. True to its name, the restaurant served fare featuring sea turtles, a popular delicacy harvested from local waters and served in turtle steaks, soups and chowders.